Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Cancelled in the Park

The 2015 season of Concerts in the Park kicked off at the beginning of June with a really great group called Unknown Lyric. I had big plans to go but all my friends backed out on me and I didn't want to look like a loser sitting by myself so I didn't go. That particular night it rained and the concert got pushed back by 30 minuted because of a quick rain shower that passed through. 

The next week I had other plans which got cancelled because of rain and was going to head down to the park instead, but the concert got cancelled too...and it never rained downtown. The third week I was in Boston, in a coat in the middle of June and that was just fine by me. 

Finally, this past Monday, I made it to the park for the concert. This particular night was the one I was looking forward to the most because it was military night and the US Army Materiel Command Band was playing and there were going to be fireworks after the concert. I met my dad at the park, we set up our chairs and went and got some dinner from the food trucks. 

As soon as we got our food, and sat down in our chairs, a lady from the Arts Council came onto the stage and said that the National Weather Service has issued a thunderstorm warning and that it was supposed to rain at the park in the next 15 minutes and so everyone needed to pack up and head home in the interest of safety. Y'all, I was so disappointed!

Instead of leaving, my dad and I just sat in our seats and ate our dinner and talked about this, that and the other. We actually ended up sitting there talking until about 8:30 p.m. That's right folks, we sat under a tree, in the park, in the nice cool summer night and not one drop of rain fell in the park. The concert was cancelled for no reason at all, but at least I got in some good conversation and quality time with my daddy. 

Around 8:30 p.m. we parted ways and about 15 minutes after I got home as I was cleaning up yet another mess made by Pippa, the doorbell rang. It was my dad and he had lost his phone and wanted to know if it was in the chair he had been sitting in. It wasn't. So, we headed back to the park with my big lantern in tow to look for the phone. Thankfully, I spotted it right away, without the help of the lantern I might add. Just call me eagle eye! 

Concerts in the Park supposedly continues on Monday nights through July and August. Maybe one day this summer I'll make it to the park and the show won't get cancelled. 




No comments: