Sunday, June 21, 2015

Boston and Beyond

My last day in Boston was Tuesday and we once again got an early start and headed into our customer site at 8:00 a.m. My flight was leaving at 2:40 p.m. so one of my customers arranged a cab to pick me up at noon. The traffic in Boston is ridiculous so everyone said it would be best to leave at noon to make sure I got to the airport with plenty of time remaining.

The cab ride was uneventful. The driver talked a lot and asked a lot of questions and kept referring to his girlfriend (or maybe wife) as his sweetheart which made me smile to myself. I got the the airport about 12:30 and had thankfully already printed out my boarding passes so I basically just had to jump in the ever-growing line to get into the terminal. It took about 30-45 minutes to get through security, after which I went straight to the Legal Sea Foods located in the terminal for some lunch. I had clam chowder and a lobster roll and it was all delicious.

I spent the next little while returning a few calls and browsing through my phone and finally it was time to board the plane. I was so lucky because on both flights home I had the exit row. On the flight from Boston to Atlanta I was on the row where the seat in front of me was a good four feet away and it was grand. I sat next to Cliff, the CFO of Boston Mutual and he told me about the endurance race he just finished and then told me about how he came to know Jesus. We spent most of the flight talking about faith. Well, he mostly talked and I occasionally got a word in which made me laugh because Cliff mentioned multiple times he was not a people person but he could have fooled me. We also talked about math. Cliff loves math and math is/was my favorite subject in school and so we had some common ground there on which to have a conversation. Cliff was visiting his mom and step-dad in Atlanta and so after the plane landed, we parted ways.

I had a bit of a layover in Atlanta so I walked around and watched people and called my dad and the next thing I knew it was time to board the plane. On this flight, not only did I have the exit row, but the middle seat was empty as well so there was lots of room to spread out. I spoke to the gentleman sitting next to me and we started talking and ended up talking from take off to touch down. His name was Melvin Adams and he once played for the San Antonio Spurs and the Harlem Globetrotters. He was coming to Huntsville to put on a basketball camp and he also works as a motivational speaker. He had me laughing the whole flight home. It was great. We are now Twitter and Instagram buddies and I hope our paths cross again some day because I really enjoyed talking with him. I finally made it home a little before 8:00 p.m. where I basically went to straight to bed and to sleep. I will never for the life of me understand why travelling is so exhausting.

The next day I had a different customer in house and went in to to work at my normal time of 6:30 a.m. and by the time the day was over (work and then dinner with the customer), it was 10:00 p.m. My clock was literally chiming 10:00 p.m. when I walked in. So, again ti was straight to bed for me. I don't think Pippa enjoyed me much last week.

The rest of the week was somewhat normal, work, gym, sleep and back to work. I think it was one of the busiest work weeks I've ever had and I'm very much looking forward to a somewhat more normal week this next week.

No comments: