Monday, March 23, 2015

It's the Official Drink of Rhode Island, Y'all!

A few weeks ago when I was in North Carolina for my weekend getaway to the Biltmore, my friends and I stopped by a grocery store to pick up a few items for breakfast. While we were perusing the dairy section in search of coffee creamer, we came across an intriguing item called Coffee Milk. Lauren and I were the two who were most interested in this concoction and so we bought a quart to try. 

I don't remember if we popped it open that night or waited until breakfast the next morning, but whatever the case, we really liked it and were sad that we had never seen it at home. We assumed our coffee milk days were behind us and that we would look upon that time fondly. 

Well, for whatever reason, I decided to Google coffee milk last week. My original intent was to try and find out if it might be sold in one of the grocery stores nearby and in my search, I discovered that coffee milk is the official drink of Rhode Island and then it made perfect sense as to why I had not yet seen this delicacy in the deep South. I then ended up searching for recipes and came across several, all involving coffee syrup. I don't know about you, but I had never heard of coffee syrup. I did find some on Amazon but it was kind of pricey and so that led me to search for recipes for coffee syrup and in the process I found a recipe for coffee syrup and the proportions needed to make coffee milk. 

Since I had all the ingredients on hand to make both the syrup and the milk, I made this my Saturday morning project. I brewed two cups of coffee, added one cup of sugar and brought it to a boil on the stove top. Then I reduce the heat and let it simmer until it was reduced to about 1 and a half cups. The recipe says this should take about 30 minutes, it took me a little longer. I then removed from the heat, poured into a glass bottle (you can use a Mason jar or whatever you have on hand) and placed in the refrigerator. Once cool, you combine 2-4 Tablespoons of coffee syrup to one cup of cold milk and mix to get coffee milk. 

I think I put a little too much syrup in my glass  because it was a lot sweeter than I remembered it, so in reality, two Tablespoons is going to be plenty. The syrup will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks. It was really easy to make and now we can have coffee milk whenever we want which is a bonus indeed! 




1 comment:

Erika said...

Hmmm....maybe I should try this since I think my ratio of milk to coffee is about 2:1 anyways :)
Of course I would have to heat it up b/c I can't stand cold coffee flavored things!