Monday, February 16, 2015

He's Gonna Be Famous One Day

I've been a terrible blogger lately; you don't have to tell me - I already know. I blame it on a combination of laziness and a boring life. In addition to not really having much going on these days, I also just don't want to pick up a computer when I get home in the evenings which doesn't bode well for the two people who like to stop by here and see what's going on in my life. I'd like to promise to do better, but goodness knows if I make that promise I'll not be able to live up to it. So, I'll just promise to do the best I can and hopefully that will work for all of us. The good news is that I've got a lot going on in the coming weeks for which I am thankful and hopefully it will lend to some good blogging material. 

This past weekend was actually a little eventful believe it or not. On Friday night, I went to The Voice competition at the Academy for Academics and Arts. The very talented Troy McMullen was singing in the competition as was sweet Georgia who also goes to church with us at Mayfair. I sat with Troy's grandparents' Tim and Jan and it was so great to catch up with them. Troy sand a song from "Into the Woods" and he did an amazing job! I might be a little biased, but I honestly think he was one of the top if not the number one singer. He projected very well and had great emotion with his words. It was such a treat to see him perform.  

After all the singers were done (14 in all), the audience voted. Each member of the audience had three votes. You could vote for the same person one, two or three times, or you could vote for two people (one with one vote and one with two votes) or you could vote for three people (one vote each). There were also two judges and I'm not sure how much their vote counted. The audience turned in their votes and I have no doubt that the kid with the most family and friends in attendance got the most votes. 

After about 20 minutes or so of waiting, the votes were tallied and I'm so very sad to say that Troy didn't make the top three which was seriously so surprising to all of us. I think he was pretty devastated, but he held it together and didn't let it get him down, at least not while he was in front of all of us. The three kids that won were okay, but not great. I wouldn't have voted for any of them. The gal that got first place had a lot of spunk but here singing wasn't phenomenal. In fact, there was a tie for first place (the judges broke the tie) and they announced her as the winner, but said nothing about the the person who had tied but lost - that person didn't even get a trophy! Kind of nuts if you ask me. 

Over the weekend though, Troy had an audition and a callback for "13 The Musical" which is bring presented by Lyrique Music Productions. He won one of the lead roles and I'm super pumped for him. It wasn't a bad ending to the weekend for Troy!  The shows will be at the VBC Playhouse June 5-7 and 12-14. I'm thinking he will be in the younger cast which will be the matinee shows at 2:00 p.m. So, if you don't have anything going on one or all of those days, then go check him out because I know he'll be wonderful and I can't wait to watch! 

1 comment:

Erika said...

That is awesome about Troy; I didn't know he was so talented vocally.
Don't feel bad about the lack of blogging; I seriously go to work, go home, and hibernate until I absolutely have to pull myself out of bed the next morning. I am SO READY for winter to be OVER.