Thursday, October 23, 2014

14th Annual Parker Pumpkin Carving Party

Last Sunday night, I joined various cousins both young and old for a pumpkin carving party. We called it the 14th Annual Parker Pumpkin Carving Party, although it was my first year to attend. I, however, have no doubt it's been going strong for 14 years or more. The soiree was held at the home of my cousins Benny and Jan and in addition to the plethora of Parkers, we were also joined by friends old and new. 

Jan had made taco soup and ham and beans and pimento cheese among other delicious items and we basically feasted all night and did some pumpkin carving too. Some of us used patterns, others of us free-handed intricate designs and yet others of us (um, me) went with the traditional jack-o-lantern. The one thing I did learn on this night was that the pumpkin scoop works like a champ when you are clearing out the guts of a pumpkin and I have since bought one for myself. 

Anna carved a small pumpkin with a fancy "T" on it which is representative of her new last name. Chris carved a Tinkerbell for his sweet grand baby Indigo. Lauren didn't carve a pumpkin but instead she bedazzled a witch's hat. Jon Mark free-handed a batman which was awesome. Conner carved the Browning deer and Annie did a different version of Tinkerbell. I believe I already mentioned that I did a traditional jack-o-lantern.

I had such a fun time with family and friends. There was lots of laughter, good food and fellowship - it was the perfect ending to a long weekend. Big thanks to Anna for sharing her photos with me since I was absent minded and didn't take one!






No comments: