Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Movie Weekend For Me

This past weekend was officially the last weekend before the start of football season; well, high school football season that is. So, I took the opportunity to have some "me time" and get some things done around the house. 

Friday night, I went with Leah to the home of her mother-in-law for a Premier Jewelry party and I'm pleased to announce that I bought absolutely nothing. There were a few items I would liked to have gotten, but I really didn't want to spend any money so I exhibited some self-control and went away empty handed. However, all was not lost as I saw my friend April for the first time in forever and we were able to enjoy a tremendous amount of laughs which is something we have always been able to do. It was so great to see her. She and I need to do a better job of staying in touch other than the random text every few months. 

Saturday morning, I was up before 5:00 a.m. - what can I say, I was just lying in bed wide awake so I figured I would go ahead and get up. I spent the morning cleaning and doing laundry and watching some TV too. I managed to get myself somewhat presentable and headed out to run some errands around noon. I knocked everything off the list and was home by 2:15 p.m. at which point I realized I forgot to go by Redbox and pick up the two movies I had reserved for the night. I debated whether or not I should leave the house again to pick them up or just forget about it. After much internal debate, I decided to go ahead and go pick up the movies. There wasn't much on TV for the evening and I didn't want to spend the rest of the afternoon and night bored to tears. So, I loaded up The Pip and we went to pick up the movies. 

I got "Divergent" and "The Railway Man". Divergent was okay, but definitely not as good as the book. "The Railway Man" was based on a true story and was a good movie, hard to watch at times, but a nice story of forgiveness. In between movies, I put together a breakfast casserole for my Sunday school class. It was a Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole and it turned out pretty good. 

Sunday after church, I returned the two movies from Saturday and rented two more. For Sunday I got "Philomena" and "The Book Thief". I watched "Philomena" that afternoon before evening services. I really, really enjoyed this one. It was also based on a true story (and book) and was just excellent; but then again, every movie with Dame Judy Dench is excellent. 

I watched "The Book Thief" after church that evening. I think I mentioned that my dad watched this on the plane on the way to Hawaii earlier this year and had said it was an excellent movie. I downloaded the book to my Kindle recently, but haven't started reading it yet (yes, I violated my book before movie policy). This movie was very, very good. I cried a couple of times during the movie and just really enjoyed watching it. I'm anxious to read the book and see how it is different from the movie. 

So, I guess you could say it was a movie weekend for me. I was glad to have the down time and time to take in some movies I had wanted to see. An overall great weekend in my book. 

No comments: