Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Saturday Ended with the Symphony

My busy weekend continued Saturday with a day full of activity. I woke up Saturday morning and did some laundry and some TV watching. My dad had borrowed my lawnmower earlier in the week and brought it back Saturday morning a little before 10:00 a.m.

I managed to pull myself off the couch and start on the yard work about 10:30. The grass was really very high and was in desperate need of a trimming. I figured it would be a beast to cut and in fact it was. I finished up the yard work a little after noon and was so glad to have it looking normal again. I didn't cut it as short as I would have liked because it was so high, but it was a vast improvement from what it had been previously.

After I finished up the yard work, Jackie came by and picked me up and we went to the batting cages at Southern Adventures. I don't think I've mentioned it, but Jackie and I and some of our friends from church and a few other friends have formed a softball team and are playing in the co-ed league on Sunday nights. The first game was on March 30 and I missed it because I was traveling back from Hawaii. The team lost by two runs but everyone was really pleased with how the team played. So, since I haven't swung a bat in about 20 years or so, we hit up the batting cages so I could get in some swings (and hopefully hits).

I swung at the air a good five or six times before finally making contact with the ball. I got in a few good hits and admittedly was very pleased with my hitting. When you haven't hit a ball in 20 years, any hit is a good hit. Jackie's step-dad dropped her kids off with us and after we were done hitting, we stopped by the store to pick up some Easter trinkets to put into plastic eggs for our service project next week. We got all the eggs stuffed and then Jackie and the kids headed home and the Pip and I took a nap.

Saturday evening, I went to the symphony. It was my first trip to the symphony this year and the last concert of the season. The night was titled Two Fifths on the Fifth and featured Beethoven's Fifth in the first half and after intermission they played Prokofiev's Fifth. Prokoviev's I was not familiar with, but it was powerful, particularly at the end. Beethoven's Fifth has been one of my favorites since I was a child. I used to own it on cassette tape and pretty much wore it out. So, it probably goes without saying that I loved, loved, loved the first half of the program.

It was a really eventful day and it ended with a great nigh. I'm so glad I was able to enjoy an evening out with such great music.

No comments: